Here is the photo of “Ginger AHHAA”, the Estonian recipe of a classic gingerbread, which is actually called in Estonian language "Peppercakes".
2 dl brown syrup
1,5 dl sugar
250 g butter
10 dl flour
3 tablespoon gingerbread spice
( or mix yourself 1 part grounded ginger, 1 clove, 1 cardamon, 1 cinnamon, and 0,3 part spice, 0,3 black pepper, grated orange peel)
2 teaspoon soda
2 tablespoon cacao. Can be added more. Cacao gives colour and bitterness.
- Heat syrup and sugar, while sugar is melted. Add butter and melt it in hot syrup.
- Let syrup cool down
- Whip eggs and add flour with spices
- Mix together syrup and flour. Knead the dough until the bowl is ” clean”, and dough separates from the bowl
- For Baking. Fold the dough with the palm-size pieces and knead it while it is elastic.
- Roll dough to 2-3 mm and form peaces of house
- Bake in the oven 180 C, ca 8-10 minutes.
- For glaze, mix 1 egg white with 100 g icing sugar (or more, it depends on egg size), use color if you want.
Pilvi Kolk, Science Centre AHHAA, Estonia